Norman F Goodwin

Fine Art, Folk Art, Fine Music, Folk Music, performance art, ANY ART, NOTE: images do not appear unless you are registered & logged in!

Norman F Goodwin

Postby rkpuma » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Born/raised in Norfolk, Norman Goodwin (1946 -) earned his BFA at Cooper Union & MFA at Columbia University; & attended the London School of Conservation; was also educated at William & Mary/ODU, studying under Charles Sibley.
beachdaysN.jpg

His paintings are collected by museums, including MOMA, the Chrysler Museum, Art Institute of Chicago and the Nasher Museum at Duke University. He is a certified fine arts appraiser and conservator and has judged shows all over. He is considered an Urban Artist, by categorizing himself as such. Amazing, for someone so open to art of all ilk.
043N.jpg

Gosh, I met Norman back in early '60's I'm guessing, at a local art show. A character!!! I later visited him at a shop he owned downtown in Norfolk on College Place --The Tree House. Back then, there were little eclectic shops you had to hunt for, not unlike "Eden's Alley" in Virginia Beach in the early 70's, that Bohemian locals had access to. In that era, André Courrèges --a French fashion designer, whose designs were especially popular/influential; using white, black, space-age, and unisex styles revolutionizing fashion-- my mother even wore Courrèges styled boots and wig hats; André is oft credited with the mini-skirt.
095N.jpg
There were all kinds of futuristic items in Norman's shop. I was 6' tall which was rare for women/girls in those days,to attain such height (one popular taunt 'Jolly Green' arose -since I wore a fave pair of green over-the-knee socks) very thin --and was repeatedly urged to consider modeling. I was uncomfortable working as a "clothes hanger" --whether it was runway or photography. BUT there was no point arguing with Norman and a gal-pal Peg, to try on a Rudi Gernreich one piece swimsuit.
Gernreich.jpg
BUT I was coaxed from the dressing room, a skinny kid. Only Norman could have finessed me out. I thought if Audrey Hepburn (wearing a one piece Courrèges) could do so in Two for the Road, then I could certainly emerge, for two friends in a 'Gernreich'. The day convinced me, as did friend Jackie (a French model), that being a hanger for money, wasn't a desirable destiny.
inlineN.jpg

A couple years back I saw a Norman Goodwin painting at the Contemporary Art museum in Virginia Beach among other luminaries featured in this forum.

I talked with Norman today on the phone for the first time in ages, and he was very helpful. Have been meaning to touch base with many, but life gets in the way, changing priorities, etc. Norman patches living, by appraising art, designing interiors, auctioning-- & raising money for favorite charities; having taught painting for three decades, at ODU. He has painted seamy & festive sides of old Ocean View and downtown Norfolk, but for decades resided in West Ghent. He'd acted on regional & New York stages, while in his 20s, with an eye for drama. His paintings have a storytelling facet on character, motive, action. He creates art about people & places he knows best; as a boy headed to the Ocean View Amusement Park or the beach, He uses bold color --creating narrative in his images, bordering out loud. A major influence.
aug009N.jpg
--ro :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rkpuma
Site Admin

Re: Norman F Goodwin

Postby rkpuma » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:15 am

Have received 2 facebook invites to Norman Goodwin's upcoming gallery exhibit-- am wanting to go but a bit early for me to commit. Not unusual for me not to know, until I've already arrived. Never good at planning and in the habit of winging it, more now at this time in life, than ever. He is one of a kind. --ro

Time Friday, November 5 at 5:00pm - December 1 at 11:00am
Location RIVERVIEW GALLERY - 1 HIGH ST. - PORTSMOUTH, VA

This is a wonderful opportunity to see exciting paintings by Norman Goodwin, whose art I greatly admire. I hope you will be able to attend the opening on Friday, November 5th, 5:00-8:00 p.m. If not, visit the exhibit before it closes on December 1st. Take the ferry from Norfolk or park easily in the garage across the street from the Riverview Gallery.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=157097867661676
-------------------------------------------------
Time Friday, November 5 · 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Location Riverview Gallery 1 High St. Portsmouth, VA

Hampton Roads own nationally known artist Norman Goodwin will be presenting a one man show during the month of Nov. at Riverview Gallery in olde towne Portsmouth. Ill health has slowed Norman's body down, but certainly not his spirit. We invite you to come and meet this legendary artist and to see his latest body of works. Riverview Gallery is thrilled at the honor of presenting this show, and at the opportunity to share Mr. Goodwin's work with you. Riverview Gallery is open 7 days a week at 11 a.m., closing at 5pm on Sunday through Thursday, and at 8pm on Friday and Saturday. Live music by Kevin Taylor, refreshments will be served, and this event is free and open to the public.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 3655597457
rkpuma
Site Admin

Return to HOMEY / DUH-ART-SENT-HER